Saturday, March 12, 2005

Was St. Patrick A Protestant?

On Thursday, March 17th, the world will celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Patrick of Ireland was one of the greatest Christians who ever lived. Taken captive from his native Scotland (he was born near Kilpatrick, Dumbarton) by marauding Irish bands,
Patrick was sold as a slave in his early teens. Ignominiously treated, he longed for his native home. In his loneliness and need, Patrick gave his heart to Jesus, our Saviour, and was gloriously changed by the liberating power of God. Finally, he was able to escape and return to his native Scotland.

Deep in his heart, Jesus burdened him with the need to take the Gospel to his former captors. After a great struggle of soul, he returned to Ireland as an ambassador for Christ. Great success accompanied his preaching and teaching as the Holy Spirit impressed the Word of God on hearts. Upon Patrick's death, Christian churches and worship places dotted the Irish landscape. Ireland had become a Christian land in his lifetime! It is unlikely that he drove all the snakes out of Ireland since by his time most of the snakes had already gone from Ireland.

Was Patrick a Protestant? Of course, at his juncture in history there was no Protestant movement yet. But, in spirit, was he a Protestant? Here are several reasons I would say one must answer "yes" to this question:

1) Patrick did not worship the virgin Mary.
2) Patrick had Jesus as his life focus, not the Church.
3) Patrick had a life-changing born again experience with Christ.
4) Patrick taught the Holy Scriptures not the edicts of the Church.
5) Patrick practiced spontaneous praying rather than reciting a prayer-book.
6) Patrick taught salvation through faith in Christ rather than sacraments.
7) Patrick had Jesus as his Master not the Pope.

Patrick's famous prayer will convince the unbiased reader that he had more in common with Protestants than one could ever imagine. Please meditate upon it.

CHRIST BE WITH ME

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me:
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's Word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me.

Christ be with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every one who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home